Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Animal Control

We have two dogs, an 11 year old lab/dalmation mix, and an American pit bull puppy, 16 months. Both females, and at first they got along great. Last summer, though, they were picked up by the dogcatcher and things haven't been the same since.

The pound here is rather "anti-pit bull." I've had friends that told me this, but until I saw it with my own eyes, I thought they were exaggerating. I don't think that now. This was the second time the puppy and the lab mix were picked up, and the puppy had two weeks to go until she turned six months. After talking to the staff, they took me to the female area. There was my lab mix, but where was the puppy? Then they took me through the male side.

"She's a female," I told the attendant. I didn't really think I had to mention it, but I guess you never know.

"Sometimes after such a traumatic event, females can become more aggressive, and it's easier and less stressful for the dog to be placed away from other females." Oh. So she's normal then, maybe PMS-ing. But what traumatic event? Then I found her, and she was scared and shivering at the back of the cage, and she wouldn't even look at me. "Hang on sweetie, just let me pay your bail." Doggie jail, I hate it. I'm surprised they don't make them wear orange collars while they're there.

I get back to the front. And the questioning began. "Yes, the lab is spayed... No, I don't remember when she was spayed... No, I didn't bring proof that she's been spayed, but I can give you the number for our vet, who spayed her... Yes, both are current on their shots, and here's both Rabies vaccine certificates... Yes, I brought a picture of the pit bull. Here you can clearly see the markings on her chest that match the dog you have... No, I don't have a picture of just her face (really?!? REALLY?!?)... Wow, you must be more of a dog person than I am if you can identify a dog by a mug shot OF HER FACE!... No, no, I'm serious, I really do think that's amazing... Yes, I have other angles, look in this one, you can see the markings on her foot... Not identifying enough? Oh, this one has a picture of her collar. Amazingly enough, it's the SAME one she's wearing right now... Yes, you can borrow my phone to take and compare the pictures against my puppy...yeah, I'll wait, thanks." Damn it, I should have brought some dog shit from the back yard to compare DNA. The lady who can identify a dog by the muzzle shape could probably compare dog fart smell against the shit to positively ID her. Trace evidence, forensics, etc.

She comes back. "Yes, that's her. Just one more thing, she has to be spayed. It is the policy of this Animal Care and Control that any animal that gets brought in 2 times in a year must be neutered," she tells me. And keeps a straight face. Hmm.

"Really? That's kinda strange, since y'all told me the last time she was picked up that it was the policy to have her spayed if they were picked up three times in a year, not two. I specifically asked last time, because she has papers for breeding."

"Let me check with my supervisor." She leaves and comes back a few minutes later, "Nope she has to be spayed, or you can fight it in court and face a possible $1500.00 fine. Were you planning on breeding her?" I'm not feeling the love here.

"Not really, I just hadn't planned on NOT breeding her. Fine, I'll take her into the vet this week."

"No, I'm sorry, we can't release the dog until she's been spayed. Here is a list of vets that accept our voucher. The $60 dollars you pay will go toward her neutering, and these vets waive the rest of the fee. Which one would you prefer?"

Well, shit. But what choice did I have, they had my dog. If dogs were furry people, I could sue for discrimination. But they're not, so I'm fucked. I smiled, "Thank you. This one right there sounds nice."

Shortly after this incident, they began having dominance issues. They would fight, first over food that they had previously shared, and it scared me because the lab can kill things, and the pit bull is well, a pit bull. Then they would fight over the bed. Then they fought over the couch. We got a dog cage and more gates.

I asked one of my friends who trains shepherds. He's from Germany, and speaks with an Arnold accent. "When a new puppy comes into the pack, sometimes they will fight to establish their place." That didn't sound too bad. Maybe we were over the worst of it. "Once they have both determined who is dominant, they will be fine. Are they both males?"

"No, they're both females."

"Oh, then they will fight to the death. Bitches, you know."

What?! Well, fuck! So I separated them - you know, to keep them from KILLING each other. They lick faces through the gate, but if they get together, fur flies, and I freak. I did some online research, and found out that when one dog is established, getting a new dog is usually ok. But when we moved, the new yard, or "territory" had not been claimed by any dog, and therefore, both could claim it, and evidently fight over it. To the death! No, to the pain! (Hello, my name is Inigo Montoya. You peed in my yard, prepare to die.)

But hence the gated areas. When I sprung them from the Puppy Pokey, they were both identity chipped, so if they get picked up after they are off of "dog parole" I don't have to produce a picture. But I have one now of the pit's face. You know, just in case. I might even bring the dogshit with me next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment