Friday, September 16, 2011

It's All Fun And Games

My four-year old daughter is once again on her way to see her cousin. I'm glad that her grandparents take her when they go to visit, since it 1) gives me an opportunity to have special time with the youngest, 2) gets Diana out of my hair, 3) brings her closer to the cousin that lives farthest away, and 4) gets Diana out of my hair. Did I mention that once already? Oh, well, it's such a fabulous thought it bears repeating. So, the first day she's gone, their dad cleans the shit out of their room, to find a half-eaten sandwich! No one knows how or when she made the sandwich, but I personally suspect she has figured out the gate to the kitchen. I'm still not sure what was in the sandwich, though, since she's gone and I can't ask, because she's out of town! If I didn't know better, I'd think she planned it that way. I can trace her activities using the items in her room, which tells me that by the time she's a teenager, I might as well open a private investigative agency!

So, the items: the make-up was from last week, when she got into my make-up while conducting the heist of the century (multi-tasking, from a woman's basic toolbox) the string from one of her hair ribbons, that I had taken away from her several weeks ago and hid (which can only mean she has found my hiding place) and the stuffing, well the STUFFING was from their beds! As it turns out, my darlings have been systematically tearing apart their beds and hiding the "spoils" from their "stuffing party" (much as I used to do as a teenager with my liquor bottles.) Their dad took the beds and put sleeping bags in their room to sleep in. I guess it'll be that way until I can get their new twin mattress, or until one of them figures out how to take the sleeping bags apart at the seems. With my little destructo-children, anything's possible. That four-year-old can get into some shit, let me tell you!

The baby, however, is another story. That child is willful, determined, and creative, with a healthy splash of meanness thrown in for spice. Truthfully, she's probably at least half-responsible for the demolition of their room, to include the destruction of their toddler mattresses. I'm not sure, but I think she figured out that her sister ends up taking the rap for her misdeeds. Strange as it seems, I also believe that she doesn't care. I love spending time with just the baby. She's my youngest, my last, my little pumpkin, and they way her mind works... Well, I'm sure when she grows up, she'll have a super-villian nick name.

She does finally understand what sippy cups are (and more importantly, that if she wants a drink, she better bring it with her when she comes out of her room.) I have been trying to get her to talk more, by naming things as she touches them, and sometimes she cooperates and tries to say whatever I've named. I noticed that about two syllables is her limit. I didn't really go through this with my pre-schooler, because she was at Nana's house so much, (which is better than any pre-school, let me tell you!) but the baby is another story. Since she can already say her ABC's and count 1-12, I figured we'd better teach her to actually communicate. It might come in handy at some point. You never know.

The minute the her sister left, I figured she'd crawl so far up our asses that if I farted, she'd have shit on her nose, but I am consistently surprised by how happy she is while her sister's gone, and it made me realize: she likes playing by herself. Really, really, likes being alone. She does occasionally come out to "socialize" with the rest of us, but her goal seems to be destroying her room and having as much fun as possible while doing it! And I thought the four-year-old was bad. Since her older sister is gone though, she sings, she dances, she talks (sort of) and generally has a fabulous time. It's starting to make me wonder if she has an imaginary friend. I guess there really is at least three people who are happy when Diana is gone. Little does the toddler know, I plan to work on potty-training her while her older sister isn't here. Fun times with the pre-schooler gone, right? Well, it's all fun and games until someone loses an eye! Wait a minute, maybe I should put the toddler in glasses...

No comments:

Post a Comment